We accept a wide range of qualifications for entry to Norland

You must have:

If you are unsure whether your academic qualifications will meet our criteria, please contact our Admissions team.

We have a number of additional entry requirements below. Please ensure you read these thoroughly before applying to Norland.


Contact our Admissions team to discuss entry requirements

+44 (0)1225 904050 admissions@norland.ac.uk
Norland student helping little girl put boots on outside

Additional entry requirements

You must be aged 18 or over by the course enrolment date to apply to Norland.

We expect applicants to have some experience of caring for children. This could include babysitting, nannying, volunteering at a children’s group, or helping to care for younger relatives, for example. If you are unsure whether your experience is suitable, please contact the Admissions team.

If you don’t have UK qualifications, you’ll need to arrange for the UK ENIC to confirm your qualifications. UK ENIC is a National Agency and provides the only official source of information on international qualifications to individuals wishing to study in the UK. Once UK ENIC has provided a certificate of comparability to confirm your qualifications in comparison to UK qualifications, you will need to send it to Norland. Your qualifications must be equivalent to, or higher than, our minimum entry requirements. Please note that UK ENIC charge for this service.

Following the result of the 2016 EU Referendum, the UK has left the EU. If you are an EEA or Swiss national intending to apply to Norland for the academic year 2020–21, the UK government has confirmed that you will be able to study in the UK without a visa until the end of the transitional/implementation period (currently 31 December 2020). To continue living in the UK after 2020, you’ll need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. View our Brexit Guidance for Norland students. For more information please visit the UK government EU Settlement Scheme and the UK Council for International Student Affairs information for EU students.

You must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient English language competence to complete your training. It’s expected that applicants with English as an additional language will undertake IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System) and achieve an overall band of 6.0 with no less than 6.0 in each component skill. If you’ll be applying for a Student visa, you must have a SELT (Secure English Language Test). To meet this requirement, Norland requires IELTS for UKVI (Academic) test with an overall band of 6.0 with no less than 6 in each component skill, or equivalent. Before you book your test, please contact the International Students Manager to ensure you’re booking the correct test. See the IELTS website for more information

Studying for our early years degree involves a considerable amount of time spent working with children, therefore acceptance is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (formerly known as the Criminal Records Bureau) Enhanced Disclosure check. There is a fee for the DBS service. Further details will be sent to you after you have made your application. As a graduate of Norland you will be expected to update your DBS every three years or register onto the DBS update service.

When you qualify as a Norlander you may work without supervision with babies, young children and their families. Accordingly, Norland has a responsibility to ensure that students are fit to practise under these circumstances. An offer of a place to study at Norland may be conditional upon you being deemed fit to practise.

Norland is committed to safeguarding and ensuring the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all students and staff to share this commitment. Your suitability as a prospective student will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment. If an offer is made to you it will be on the condition of relevant safer recruitment checks being conducted and in line with Norland policies and procedures.

The Norland Code of Professional Responsibilities applies to all Norland students and Norlanders (Norland graduates). As a Norland student you will be expected to adhere to the Code fully and to act at all times in such a manner as to justify trust and confidence.

Register your interest in studying at Norland to stay connected

Sign up to our mailing list to receive the latest study news and information about our open days, funding opportunities and student life.