SUPPORTING FAMILIES WITH TWINS OR MORE FACING SEVERE DIFFICULTY
The Twins Trust (previously Tamba) is the UK's leading multiples charity offering advice and support for families with twins, triplets or more.
In March 2012 Norland Agency was approached by the charity to see if we could offer any assistance to a father of 8 day old triplets whose wife had tragically died following the children’s birth. Norland Agency contacted all Norland Nannies to ask for offers of support for this family. The Agency was overwhelmed by the response and quickly put together a timetable of support. Norland Nannies were able to cover the first 4 weeks of the babies' return from hospital.
Nursery World Award winners 2017
Twins Trust's Crisis Support (previously Helping Hands) team, together with Norland College, was named as the winner in the “Community Support” category at the . The awards were open to anyone involved in early years education and childcare and we faced some tough competition for the accolade. Representatives from our Crisis Support team and Norland College were at a special ceremony held in London on the evening of Saturday 23rd September 2017 and collected the award.
THE NORLAND NANNIES WHO GAVE UP THEIR FREE TIME CARING FOR THE BABIES DESCRIBED THEIR EXPERIENCES:
- “It was the most special time being able to care for those gorgeous little ones, and having left them on Friday I have missed them madly ever since.”
- “Working with the triplets was fantastic. I’ve never been more tired but work like this really reminds me why I got into nannying!”
Many of the nannies who helped care for the children have remained in contact with the father and receive regular updates about the triplets’ progress.
Norland started formally working with Twins Trust in March 2014 to set up the Crisis Support. The service offers families with multiples in crisis free support from qualified Norland Nannies who offer their services on a voluntary basis. You can read more about the nannies’ experience of working with families through Helping Hands.
Claire Burgess (a former Norland employee who also trained at Norland College) is an Honorary Consultant for Twins Trust, regularly contributing to their quarterly magazine ‘Multiple Matters’ and delivering parenting workshops, focused on multiples, to their AGM and to Twins Trust members (parents of multiples).
By December 2016, Norland Nannies, working on a voluntary basis, had provided 1,968 hours of practical support for families through Crisis Support. Qualified Norland Nannies have supported families facing bereavement, illness (including terminal conditions), severe postnatal depression, mental health issues, feeding and weaning problems, triplets with additional needs, quads, sleep and routine issues.
KEITH REED, CEO, Twins Trust SAID;
“In partnership with Norland, we launched Crisis Support – supporting multiple births in crisis project. Very kindly, Norland volunteers offer their time supporting families in crisis, in their own home, for free. In many instances, this has prevented a very serious situation deteriorating even further. Everyone who has been helped by the Norlanders are overwhelmingly positive about their character, manner, expert knowledge and willingness to help. As an organisation, it has been extremely easy and rewarding to work with the Norland team. Their professionalism is exemplary. Their communication with us and our clients is open and respectful at all times and their knowledge base is first rate.”
Testimonials from families who have benefited from Crisis Support:
- “Gave me confidence and hope”
- “This was life changing for me, my husband and my twins”
- “Provided our family with much needed support at a time when we were at our lowest”
- “Made a difference to my day”
- “Life changing”
- “Most incredible service”
- “Absolutely invaluable help”
- "A nanny arrived from the Tamba charity. As soon as she walked into the house peace was restored, the babies stopped crying and order was made out of chaos. It was like a twenty-first century Mary Poppins! The nanny stayed for three days, working from 8:30am until about 9:00pm. My sister-in-law accepted the help and was really on the receiving end of an intensive 'Norland' nannying course. Now she knows exactly how to look after the babies to a very high standard. Their mum had trouble accepting health authority professionals such as health visitors and child health specialists: however, she had no problem at all with the nanny due to her tact, discretion and professionalism. I was deeply touched when I considered that the same type of nanny who is employed by the Royal Family was helping my sister in law to look after our special babies. Thank you so much for sorting us out: I don't know what would have happened without your valuable help and expertise. (All women should do a three year course in childcare at Norland before embarking on motherhood!)"
Norland continues to offer advice and support to Twins Trust families through the Crisis Support Project. Information about supporting the Crisis Support appeal can be found here
To apply for 'Crisis Support' support, please find the self-referral form here